Why I Regretted Not Interning at a Radio Station and What I Learnt from My Regret

   When I was in my first year at university – if I remember it correctly – a good friend shared with me an internship opportunity that should have been unmissable. As the title of this post suggested, it was a radio internship – an opportunity I had always longed for, as someone who was, and still am and will always be, fascinated by euphony. Growing up as it were listening to the BBC, I had always dreamt of becoming a radio journalist for that corporation and a voice over artist. To be those things, I realised that I definitely needed some work experiences, so that radio internship opportunity could not have come at a better time indeed. And yet … and yet … I said no … even when – because I could not drive – the good friend offered to drive me if I managed to get the internship! Oh what a fool I had been! Looking back, whilst I knew deep down that I’d regret saying no at the time, I did not know how huge the impact of that missed opportunity would have on my career prospects. Most crucially, I could not predict that six or seven years later, sat in front of my laptop typing these words today, the regret is still palpable – more so than before in fact. Why? Because I have found out that audition opportunities for voice over artists are not strewn like pebbles across the metaphorical beach. Far from it. To get into the voice over industry, one needs to have contacts, as chances to audition are typically reserved for those already in the industry or those who know someone in that industry. Thanks to the vehement no I have uttered six or seven years ago, I do not know anyone in voice over…

   So what have I learnt from my regret? I have learnt that I cannot turn back the clock to say yes and neither can I take back these words, said to that lovely friend who kept telling me it was going to be all right and that I should just give the internship a go:

·       ‘Maybe someday. I’m struggling with my confidence issues right now. I won’t be able to do it.’

·       ‘They’ll pressurise me to speak in an unnatural voice, so giving it a go isn’t the best idea after all.’

·       ‘I need to focus on my studies.’

·       ‘My time management is appalling.’

·       ‘I’m not a multitasker.’

And so on and so forth. My friend did persist, and so did my no and I 😭

   Looking back, I realised that the root of all those sorry excuses was my limiting belief (Gosh how many limiting beliefs do I actually have?) that I could not say yes without being sufficiently confident that I could do it. I am now aware that sometimes, confidence is not a given; rather, it is something one can cultivate and dream into existence. How, then, should I apply what I’ve learnt in my daily life? When I know deep down that I really, really, really want to do something in future and it so happens that I’m in luck, the opportunity is staring me in the eye very, very soulfully, I should just do it. Easier said than done though, but hell yes – I will just do it!

   What is something that you have regretted for a long time? Share it with me, only if you want to though 😂

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

27 Things I’ve Learnt in 27 Years

Eleven Things You’d Relate to If You’re Both a Prose and Poetry Writer

Five Fabulously Gorgeous Non-Fiction Books Under 200 Pages That Will Get You Back on Your Productive Feet