‘Frientastical’: A Poem Celebrating Friendships New and Old

White hearts congregate like birds

sitting snug on multiple, multiplied family trees.

Feathers melted from milk chocolates, malted, those beauties

perch on top a wedding cake, specially made

for singles like me.

The hearts are browned through the whites of my eyes, caramelised, fragranced

with the aroma of French rose tea, befriending

my every sense with the sweetness of waterfalls.

 

I am reborn every day,

a foreigner in the floral-speaking country called Friendship, learning, without burning,

its every tradition and myth,

myself dragonised

with each new word and phrase

earned. Face turned unphased,

I let every raindrop grow into my heart’s frosting, returning to the homecoming and upcoming

parties that are my chosen family trees.

 

The butterflies in my stomach, wings fluttering,

never fly away. Look here they are to stay! Inside I am

freshened by their frientastical sprinkling

of fairy dust.

All I need

to stay sweet, lit and booked up,

is not quite the buttercream

you’d find gleaming on those wedding cakes for, well, let’s just call them non-singles,

because befriended, coffee cream is enough to cure, or rather warm, my frantic frostbites.

  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

27 Things I’ve Learnt in 27 Years

Eleven Things You’d Relate to If You’re Both a Prose and Poetry Writer

Five Fabulously Gorgeous Non-Fiction Books Under 200 Pages That Will Get You Back on Your Productive Feet